Tuesday, January 11, 2011

YAC may be a Quarterbacking Skill

by Denis O'Regan

The distance a completed pass travels in the air would appear to be a significant factor in how much YAC a pass is going to generate. A flat pass to a running back is likely to have more potential YAC than a longish sideline pass where the defense has more time to converge around the potential receiver. Therefore, I regressed the average length of a QB's completion (his air yards), against the amount of YAC he generated. I used all QBs from 2006-2010 who had been their teams primary starter.

Air yards were statistically significant as an indicator and the correlation was just over 0.16.

The amount of YAC was given by 6.83 minus (air yards*0.296).

Next I in turn removed each player from the regression repeated the process and calculated his expected YAC from his actual length of completion using the new regression. I then subtracted each QB's actual YAC from his expected YAC to find which players had produced more YAC than expected given their air yards. The players with more than their expected YAC over the five seasons of the data are listed below.

Best quarterbacks for generating YAC after accounting for depth of completion.

QBExpected YACActual YACDifference
D.McNabb 4.87 5.82 0.95
T.Romo 4.72 5.44 0.72
P Rivers 4.7 5.4 0.7
M Stafford 5.24 5.92 0.68
A Rodgers 4.72 5.25 0.53
G Frerotte 4.82 5.34 0.52
M Vick 4.59 5.02 0.42
T Brady 4.95 5.36 0.41
J Campbell 5.24 5.65 0.41
M Schaub 4.81 5.15 0.34
K Orton 4.98 5.31 0.34
M Cassel 5.08 5.42 0.34
B Favre 5.1 5.38 0.28
J Flacco 4.9 5.15 0.25
A Smith 5.21 5.46 0.25
M Sanchez 4.7 4.91 0.21
B Roethlisberger 4.56 4.76 0.2
J Cutler 4.83 5.03 0.2

With the exception of a few low sample size interlopers, the list contains a very impressive list of QBs, including 8 of this season's post season ones.

The next table contains the largest underperformers, players whose actual YAC was much less than the figure predicted by combining the regression with the actual distance their completions travelled through the air.

Worst quarterbacks for generating YAC after accounting for depth of completion.

QBExpected YACActual YACDifference
K Boller 4.73 3.3 -1.43
B Croyle 5.21 4.17 -1.04
A Walter 4.49 3.52 -0.97
S McNair 4.96 4.02 -0.94
C Frye 5.21 4.28 -0.93
B Gradkowski 5.38 4.49 -0.89
S Rosenfels 4.76 4.03 -0.73
R Fitzpatrick 4.99 4.3 -0.7
C Henne 4.91 4.26 -0.65
C Pennington 4.9 4.26 -0.64
D Carr 5.6 5.01 -0.59
K Collins 4.74 4.19 -0.55
B Quinn 5.35 4.84 -0.51
M Bulger 4.83 4.33 -0.5

Very much a mix of poor players or good ones declining at the tail end of their careers. There are some better players due up fairly soon on this part of the list, most notably Peyton Manning, but they're still outnumbered by poorer ones. Manning is probably an unusual outlier as he's been the most accurate QB bar non when you allow for the distance he throws. His YAC's probably dragged down disproportionately because he is so deep and so accurate.

So to summarize, QBs who get more yards after the catch than you would expect them to get when you allow for the depth of their completions tend to be elite players. Those who underperform compared to their peers tend not to be generally regarded as very good QBs.

This may mean that gaining YAC is at least partly attributable to a quarterbacking talent. McNabb was above average compared to his expected YAC at both Washington and Philly, his numbers aren't dependent upon a good performance at Philly alone. While Baltimore were massively below average with McNair and Boller, but above average with Flacco.

A quick note on the correlation of the original equation. It's not strong, but there must be a heck of alot of noise and it does jump significantly if you restrict the sample to just good or just bad YAC QBs.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

what percentage of passes go for no yac?

Anonymous said...

i'd think route would have the highest correlation to yac. distance and route.

Ian Simcox said...

Second anon - it is, which is why you need to adjust for an expected YAC per completion based on Air Yards per completion.

So rather than YAC, which depends quite heavily on the route, we should be looking at YAC above expected.

Anonymous said...

Does your expected YAC match football outsiders expected YAC?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2010/introducing-yac

Anonymous said...

6.83 minus (air yards*0.296) doesn't seem to match at all.

denis said...

anon 2,plus by splitting completions by routes,you'd massively increase the noise on already low sample size poorer QB's.Air yards per completion is the best compromise imo.

Ian,thanks for the comment.

anon3,thanks for the fo link I really hadn't seen it.I'd concur with them on running back order for 2009 and to a degree on the QBs .I think they're on dodgy ground using the technique for wr (r2 is virtually 0),but I need more time to look at the numbers.

anon4,the numbers seem fine to me,any particular example stand out?

Anonymous said...

any chance on what the percentage of passes have no yac?

Tarr said...

Why did you include fewer QBs in the bottom table than the top table? And how many QBs were in the study that you didn't list (in between the two extremes)?

Of course, until we have actual catch-by-catch data, this sort of approach is pretty rough. A QB who dumps the ball off a lot and sometimes bombs it deep would have a similar average air yards to a QB that attempts mostly midrange passes, but the YAC opportunities there are quite different. Still, until we get access to that sort of data, this is the best we can do.

However, there's really nothing here to challenge my core counter-assumption - that is, that the skill of the receiver accounts for much of the additional YAC these QBs have. There's nothing here to dissociate QB from receiver.

There's so many of us looking at QB YAC at this point that we really should create a dowloadable data set (or google doc) that includes the best YAC data we have for the 2006-2010 period. It's silly for everyone to be reinventing the wheel.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Please someone set up a google doc of yac data.

denis said...

Hi Tarr
"Why did you include fewer QBs in the bottom table than the top table? And how many QBs were in the study that you didn't list (in between the two extremes)?"

No ulterior motive,I made it clear in the write up that Manning was coming along soon in the worst group.So were Thigpen, Lemon, Orlovsky,Clausen,Johnson,Leinart,Bradford,Ryan, Palmer,Losman,Plummer and Edwards.So I was hardly hiding a murderers' row. Next up for the "best" group was one Drew Brees. Over 60 Qbs in all.

"Of course, until we have actual catch-by-catch data, this sort of approach is pretty rough. A QB who dumps the ball off a lot and sometimes bombs it deep would have a similar average air yards to a QB that attempts mostly midrange passes, but the YAC opportunities there are quite different. "

Individually,yes,but on average the yac opportunities would be similar.Less for the deeper routes,more for the shorter ones.Averages work fine for passing and running efficiencies,using them for yac is no different.

"However, there's really nothing here to challenge my core counter-assumption - that is, that the skill of the receiver accounts for much of the additional YAC these QBs have. There's nothing here to dissociate QB from receiver."

A stat which has the majority of the best QBs at the top of the standings and the worst at the bottom would imo imply some level of QB involvement.

Cheers,D

Tarr said...

Hi Denis,

First things first - how is your data organized, and can you post it? I've pulled my data from the stats.com top 20 in each conference for each season - have you found a better source than that?

Anyway,

""Of course, until we have actual catch-by-catch data, this sort of approach is pretty rough. A QB who dumps the ball off a lot and sometimes bombs it deep would have a similar average air yards to a QB that attempts mostly midrange passes, but the YAC opportunities there are quite different. "

Individually,yes,but on average the yac opportunities would be similar.Less for the deeper routes,more for the shorter ones."

I'm not sure this is true. I mean, it certainly MIGHT be true. Of course we know that the typical short routes (screens, checkdowns, slants) provide a lot of YAC opportunities). But my intuition is that the typical deep passing plays (posts and go routes) have more YAC opportunity on average than the typical medium passing play (comebacks, outs, fades). If this is the case, two QBs with very similar average air yards per pass could have very different expected YAC per pass.

""However, there's really nothing here to challenge my core counter-assumption - that is, that the skill of the receiver accounts for much of the additional YAC these QBs have. There's nothing here to dissociate QB from receiver."

A stat which has the majority of the best QBs at the top of the standings and the worst at the bottom would imo imply some level of QB involvement."

Well, I certainly don't deny that the list at the top looks better than the list at the bottom, although there are certainly some duds on the top list. The broader point, though, is that this is still no shocker when you consider that the more successful QBs usually have the stronger receivers. I can go down the top 13 on that list and tick off at least one receiver for each of them who is known for excelling at YAC (I draw my first blank at Flacco). On the bottom list, I have to get to #7 (Sage Rosenfels, who had Wes Welker and Andre Johnson at various points) before I find the first.

The real question is how much residual YAC can we assign to the QB after we consider both the depth of the pass and the receiver making the catch. I grant that the list above seems to suggest it's not zero, but until we can actually look at per-catch data we're not really going to be able to suss it out. We know that that data exists (Bill Barnwell used it in his YAC+ articles on Footballoutsiders) but right now it's not public.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.